NAADS signs 5 year MOU with Inter Religious Council of Uganda (IRCU) to fight food insecurity and poverty
The National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS) has signed a five-year Memorandum of Understanding with the Inter-Religious Council of Uganda (IRCU) with the aim of addressing food insecurity and poverty among the faithful and the general farming population in Uganda.
The signing ceremony took place at the NAADS Secretariat on Thursday 19th November 2020, officiated by the Minister of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries Hon. Vincent Bamulangaki Ssempijja.
The MoU is part of a joint initiative in which Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) are partnering with IRCU to support the implementation of the Government’s strategic interventions for agro industrialization under the National Development Plan III in line with the aspiration of the national Vision 2040. The National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS) is part of the government agencies that are implementing the earmarked strategic interventions for agro industrialization under the Third National Development Plan in line with Vision 2040.
This initiative is based on the desire by IRCU to support the Government in achieving its Agro-industrialization drive through, among others, addressing mindset change, spirituality, and low agriculture production.
The main objective of the MOU is to contribute to Household Economic Empowerment through the promotion of Agro-Industrialization, Community mobilization, mindset change, value chain development and food security.
NAADS will use the structures of IRCU which cascade down from national to the grassroots level to mobilize, equip and position religious leaders, IRCU and NAADS staff and groups as community mobilization and mindset change agents to tackle mindset change towards Agro-industrialization
The MOU also aims to rally religious leaders and their congregations towards agricultural production of priority crops for improved food and nutrition security and incomes and to support Households in agricultural production, postharvest handling, value addition and support linkages to markets in priority agricultural commodities.
NAADS has agreed to work in collaboration with IRCU in the implementation of its interventions for supporting agricultural production and productivity and the promotion and development of strategic agricultural value chains/enterprises and value addition thereby contributing to the eradication of food insecurity and poverty among the faithful and the general farming population in the different parts of Uganda.
Signing on behalf of IRCU, the Chairperson of IRCU and Mufti of Uganda Sheikh Shaban Mubajje said they will rally all religious leaders and their congregations towards mass agricultural production and improving household incomes.
Obligations of IRCU
- To rally the population towards shared values, vision, togetherness, food security and household incomes using religious institutions as agents of change
- To promote mind set change as a means towards tackling ideological disorientation among Ugandans
- To mobilize and select religious leaders and religious groups to undergo mindset change sensitization and agricultural skills training
- To undertake support supervision visits to all districts and regions to ensure that activities are moving on as planned
- To hold joint review meetings to track progress and receive feedback from stakeholders.
- Account for funds received through NAADS for undertaking its obligations through periodical financial and progress reports.
- To promote conservation of the land through farming God’s way.
- Promote modern technological advance and value addition of the agricultural sector through the FBOs projects and programs.
- Promote marketing of the agricultural produce at the local, national, regional and international level.
- Set up of demonstration plots for learning purposes
Obligations of NAADS
- Procurement and delivery of quality inputs within the planned activities for this initiative.
- Provide technical backstopping during the implementation of various activities.
- Liaise with other government actors in this undertaking to ensure smooth and coordinated implementation
- Spearhead the undertakings under this partnership
- Coordinate with other government and non-state agencies in the implementation of interventions for supporting increased agricultural production and productivity the promotion of promotion and development of strategic agricultural value chains/enterprises and value addition.