There are 4 different systems of the plantation in pineapple farming. These four different planting methods are
- Flat-bed planting method
- Furrow planting method
- Contour planting method and
- Trench planting method
However, the planting system in pineapple farming varies in accordance with soil type and rainfall in a particular region. Note that in slopes or hilly region, contour planting or TERRACING is should be adopted.
Irrigation in pineapple farming
- Pineapples are water-loving plants and are mostly cultivated in good rain-fed areas.
- An Optimum rainfall of 1500 mm per year is sufficient enough for their best growth.
- However, water should be supplemented to obtain good sized pineapple fruits for good profit.
- Nowadays, it is possible to planting pineapples throughout the whole year to obtain year-round production.
- Take care during irrigation. Provide water to your crop, time to time on the basis of requirements.
Quick Tips for Growing Pineapples in Uganda
- Clear up land meant for planting by deep cultivation.
- Treat the crowns with fungicide and insecticide before planting.
- Mark your field using the 2ft and 1ft spacing for planting.
- Place the crowns 3cm deep in to the field and gently firm with soil.
- Spray the plantings with foliar fungicide and pesticide.
- Also water a bit the crowns for proper growth.
- In about 15 to 24 months you will be able to harvest your pineapple fruits.