- Depending on the variety, sorghum matures between 90-140 days and is ready for harvesting when the crop has reached physiological maturity.
- First season sorghum is harvested between July to August while second season sorghum is harvested from December to January.
- Harvesting is done by cutting the sorghum panicle just below the attachment with the peduncle.
- In Uganda harvesting sorghum is predominantly done by women using a sickle or knife.
- For seed production harvest only disease free heads.