- Budded or grafted plants start producing fruits at about 2-3 years from planting.
- Full productivity is reached in about 10 years.
- Oranges stay on the tree from 6 to 9 months depending on the variety and climate conditions.
- Maturity is indicated by color change to slightly yellowish.
- Most trees bear twice a year.
- Harvest citrus fruits by clipping or pulling from the tree.
- The use of picking bags or baskets is recommended to collect the fruit and to prevent contact with the ground to reduce lowered quality.
- The average yield in Uganda is 10-12 tons/ha/year.
- With good management, one can get 40 tons/ha/year.
One tree can produce 2 sacks (90-130kg)/tree per season