Dairy farming is a strategic enterprise in Uganda that provides household food security and daily incomes to the large population.
It is practiced under three main systems; intensive, semi-intensive and extensive.
Breeds of dairy cattle
- Good diary breed but also idea for beef.
- Heavy animals; (500-600kg)
- High milk producer
- Black and white or brown and white
- Demands very good management
- 3,825 average milk liters per 350 days lactation
- Average body weight (350 kg)
- Hardy animal
- Early maturing
- Brown color normally
- Bull can be blackish in color
- Produces concentrated milk
- Eats less than the Friesian and adapts well to hot climate
- 2,970 average milk liters per 350 days lactation
- Color is light to deep cherry-brown or combination of these grazers
- Very efficient grazers
- 3,3375 average milk liters per 350 days lactation
- Milk production is between Friesian and Jersey
- The color is brown with white markings
- Milk quality is good (concentrated)
- 3,150 average milk liters per 350 days lactation